Thursday, June 11, 2009

spiritual happenings, etc.

So last night Nate and I biked over to Tree of Heaven House. A bunch of people came over for their potluck. Their house is really cool in the way they live together. I get to live with them next week, so I'm sure I'll have more to say about it then, but I'm excited by their efforts toward sustainability. I was a little disappointed in the lack of diversity of the pot-luck. Hamtramck is super-diverse, but their pot-luck seemed to mostly attract other hippies. I'm not saying that gathering with people like you is bad. I guess it's just not what I was hoping for. Tomorrow night the house I'm in now is having a game night. Apparently their game nights are already famous in the community, and a lot of the neighbors are coming.

Since I've arrived I have felt very free in some ways. I have few pressures. Even the job search doesn't seem to be urgent (though maybe it should be). I love having time to read and sleep and pray and play my guitar and hang out with cool people. It's very peaceful here. But at the same time, I feel like I'm floating, adrift. I really miss Rochester. While I'm physically uprooted, I still have connections there that are very foundational for me, very grounding. And so I've been an emotional mess, albeit a peaceful one. I really miss my girlfriend and roommate in particular. I feel in constant need of a hug. Tree of Heaven House and their friends are pretty 'huggy' people, so that was nice yesterday. God is good.

No comments: