Friday, June 12, 2009

we

I wrote this song today after studying Acts 1:6-8. It's called 'We.'

Chorus:
Lord who are we?
What have we done?
What have I by silence been a part of?
My culture and religion
Say it's just about me.
But where are we?

Verse 1:
It's not my fault her great-grandma
Was my great-granddaddy's slave.
Can't we just forgive and forget?
But I grew up in privilege
Not even knowing I was white
And she grew up black every day.
If I'm hangin on the corner
You might ask why I'm there,
But you'll think he's got something for sale.

Chorus

Verse 2:
Lord I don't want my sinful ignorance
To visit my kids.
This divided church don't fit your dream.
We all grew up singing
"Hallelujah, praise the Lord!"
In segregated rhythms and places.
Your disciples asked you
Restore your kingdom to the Jews.
You said, "Take my kingdom to the world."

Chorus

Verse 3:
This is my confession:
I don't know how to change.
But your Spirit's workin in me.
Now I'm growing in the city
And you're setting me free
From the stranglehold of the empire.
Let them call us Christians,
A community of love.
Only Christ can hold us together.

Chorus

Bridge:
And they'll know we are Christians
By our love
By our love
Yes they'll know we are Christians
By our love.

No comments: