Saturday, July 11, 2009

Jeremiah

I'm studying the book of Jeremiah every morning through breakfast and beyond. 6am is a great time to wake up. The parallels between God's message to his people before the exile of Judah and Jerusalem and the message I want to preach to the church in the United States are astounding, and proportionately troubling.

I think I want to be a prophet.

But I don't have much choice in the matter.



White privilege is real. Too real. But it's not my fault, and guilt solves nothing. The subtle presuppositions of the mind are hard to change. Hard as the chain-link fence between Detroit and Grosse Point. Hard as the empty sky and hail on steel on crimson concrete. Don't be conformed to the world's mold. Be transformed by the renewing of the mind.

The mind is hard to change. Get a new one.

No comments: