Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 2

DETROIT--
I snoozed from 7 to 8 and then shut off my alarm and prayed/slept until 9. Lazy mornings. It's been nice to be able to sleep a lot, and my attic room is much more comfortable in the cool mornings than the hot nights. I'm currently reading three books: T.H. White's The Once and Future King, The Heart of Racial Justice by Brenda Salter McNeil and Rick Richardson, and Jesus for President by Shane Claiborne and Chris Haw. Three excellent and very different books. It's really nice to have time to sit and read.

I'm currently in the process of printing resumes. It turns out the Human Resources department for the Detroit Public School District is just a few blocks from where I'm living, so I'm about to take a walk down there after lunch and see if I can talk to someone. I deeply appreciate any prayer in this regard.

This morning Matt and I spent a lot of time talking about the city of Detroit over a map. It was fascinating to hear some stories of how the city has grown and changed over the years. Matt pointed out some of the neighborhoods that our community might want to consider moving into in the fall. Where I am now is actually not very far from Wayne State at all.

I mentioned in the previous post that I'll be moving around. I got a little bit more excited about that after talking to Matt today. I'll actually be able to experience three different kinds of living in community by the end of the summer. I have this week here, next week with the Ailanthus (Tree of Heaven, also "Ghetto Palm") House in Hamtramck, and then the summer back in this neighborhood with the intern team. Yay community living! Maybe I can even recruit a few of the other interns to move in with the guys and I in the fall.

No comments: