Wednesday, January 21, 2009

one brick

Quote of the Day
“People say, “What is the sense of our small effort?” They cannot see that we must lay one brick at a time, take one step at a time.”
~Dorothy Day
Today's quote of the day (get it? 'day') is really not the quote of the day anywhere except here.  I was just inspired to look up some things this amazing woman said, and this really resonated with me.

People ask me what we hope to accomplish in Detroit.  And honestly, I don't imagine we'll accomplish much.  It reminds me of another quote, this one from Mother Teresa:

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. 
But even if we only add one drop, even if we only lay one brick, and sloppily, we have done something worthwhile.

No comments: