Monday, December 15, 2008

pictures of advent

The Cost of Discipleship is still my bus book, so I was intrigued when the voice of the day at God's Politics was from Bonhoeffer.

A prison cell, in which one waits, hopes … and is completely dependent on the fact that the door of freedom has to be opened from the outside, is not a bad picture of Advent.

- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I don't remember if I wrote this here in the past, but C.S. Lewis also gave me an intriguing picture of the incarnation in Surprised by Joy. Before he became a Christian, one of his arguments against a personal God was that Hamlet and Shakespeare could never meet each other. Revisiting this argument after God quite unscrupulously gang-tackled him and changed his heart, Lewis recognized that Hamlet could do absolutely nothing to meet Shakespeare. But it would be possible for the Author to write himself into the story. Shakespeare could choose to meet Hamlet, in a beautiful picture of incarnation.

No comments: