Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Getting my eyes fixed

"My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release me from the snare." Ps. 25:15

If I was walking along and suddenly got my feet caught in a trap, my first reaction would not be to look at God. If it was a painful or scary trap, I might think, "O God, help!" But even then, my focus would be on the trap. I'd examine it, struggle with it, talk to it, wack at it... Searching for a way to slip out or break free.

And all too often that's what I find myself doing with sin. When there is a sin that I seem trapped by, that I just can't shake, I spend so much time focused in the sin. How can I escape it? What strategies can I employ to avoid it or fight it? And I forget, only the Lord will release me from the snare.

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith."

1 comment:

Joshua said...

I'm the same way.

What are the steps to take to fix the problem? What have others done to solve this issue? What book out there addresses this? Why is this happening to me?

Should be:

God, I need YOU to fix this.
God, what have YOU/can YOU do to solve this?
God, how do YOU address this?