Tuesday, September 14, 2010

When Helping Hurts

Preface

I've just started reading When Helping Hurts by Corbett & Fikkert.  It's the book that much of my pastor's recent sermon series "The Gospel, Politics, and the Poor" was based on.

This is a book that I want to take notes on as I read, so I'm going to try to post something from each chapter, whether it's just a quote or a thought.  They also have questions at the beginning and end of each chapter, which I may or may not post my answers to here.

The Preface:

If you are a North American Christian,  the reality of our society's vast wealth presents you with an enormous responsibility, for throughout the Scriptures God's people are commanded to show compassion to the poor.
I was just reminded at small group on  Sunday night that "to whom much is given, much is required."
...each of us is responsible to participate at some level in helping our congregation to be everything Scripture calls it to be, including fulfilling its biblical mandate to care for the poor.
I feel that responsibility, and it seems to me that God has called me to be one who helps others in the Church "wake up" to it.

No comments: