Now that the program is over, my full time occupation will be finding a job.
There's a small part on a lot across the street from our house. I was walking to the CDC office just now to use the computer I'm typing this on and I got called over by two of the kids that I worked with at day camp. It's really cool to have kids so excited to see you.
I have been warned that in cross-cultural relationships becoming close with kids is easiest, then teens. Adult relationships are very difficult to develop. I intend to be very intentional with trying to develop relationships with the adults around me.
This is a statistical picture of the neighborhood that I've been living in (and will continue to be in for a month):
- 71% of households earn less than $25000 per year
- Approximately 35.2% of households live below the federally prescribed poverty rate
- 40.9% of the adult population does not have a high school diploma
- 1 out of every 2 households does not have access to private transportation
- 73% of households with children have no father living in the home
- Only 18.4% of households with children are headed by a married couple