Saturday, April 11, 2009

summer plans

I got a call from Matt, the guy leading the summer program I'm going to be involved in in Detroit.  It starts June 15 and ends August 13.  I think I'm going to head out a week earlier to get a jump start on the in-person job search.

In talking to Matt, I discovered that I will not have very much ability to communicate with the rest of the world.  Limited internet access (I could go to the library during a few hours of free time) means I'll use my phone to stay in touch.  But, I want to be committed to being present with the team.  There will just be five of us in the program (two guys, three girls).  So, I don't want to be that guy who disappears for a few hours every night talking on the phone.  That's just lame.  So, that's one of the things that I'll have to work out with the other team members at the beginning.  How much time can I allocate to talking with my girlfriend, the guys, my parents, other friends...
I'm sure that's something they'll want to do as well, perhaps to a different extent.  I think I'll be the only one with a 'significant other' from the sounds of it.  I will be able to get away for one weekend for a wedding, but other than that, it will be much like I left the country.  And I think I'm getting more and more comfortable with that idea.  After all, it's only 8 weeks.  That's less than a quarter at school.

One cool thing that Matt suggested was getting the guys to come visit and talk to the team about the community we're forming in the fall.  We're kind of a real-life application of some of the things the team and I will be learning this summer.

My general state of being, currently:  Yay, God!

No comments: