Sunday, March 8, 2009

the job search

Currently I'm looking for a three month job in Rochester.

I was hoping to find some kind of co-op in Mechanical Engineering, but was unable to.  People don't like to hire for three months.  So, I was out of leads until last week.  Now here are the possibilities, in the order they were brought to my attention:

  • Supplementary Instruction at RIT.  My university hires students who have gotten A's in historically difficult subjects (Physics, Calc, etc...) to lead what basically amounts to a study session small group.  I would have to go to the class, do an hour of training each week, and then lead a study session to review the concepts learned in the week's lectures with the students in my group.
  • Teacher's Assistant in Rochester.  The Rochester school system hires teacher's assistants.  I have no idea what they do, but I imagine some grading or classroom management stuff is involved.  This basically came out of looking around on the RPS website to see if I could find a job that would get me involved in the school system in some way.  Addtionally, when I visited an intentional community in Washington DC and mentioned my dream of teaching, it was suggested to me by someone there that being a TA is a good way to start.  So, that's been in the back of my mind.
  • Research Assistant for RIT's Criminal Justice Department.  Two of the faculty came to speak to us at ROCUP about the research they've done over the past 12+ years on violence in rochester, and they're looking for some help.  If this will put me in direct contact with people on our streets, I'd love it.
  • Substitute Teaching.  Aparently, you don't have to be certified to sub, you just have to have a bachelors degree in a related field.  Apparently area schools are particularly in need of subs these days.  This is the most recent and perhaps the most intriguing of the availalbe opportunities.
The plan:  visit RPS, the RIT Criminal Justice Department, and the organizer of the SI program on Monday.  Then, wait and see what God does.

No comments: