Sunday, March 22, 2009

eyes and light

I've been reading the Sermon on the Mount every day for the last seven days, and hope to continue the practice for the next 30.

I have no idea what to make of these words:

The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

This comes between stroing up treasures in heaven and only being able to serve one master (not both God and money).

Maybe it's really simple and I just don't get it.  I'm planning to look up what people much smarter than I have to say about it.  But I want to give it another day of pondering first.  When I don't understand a passage of scripture it sticks in my mind.  It's almost like a riddle I haven't solved; it keeps coming back to mind until I reach a resolution.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

It's possible that Jesus is talking about what goes into our minds through what we see. If we look at something that is dark/evil/bad, our mind and even our body is infected with what we saw. (Inversely with the good things we see as well).

what it has to do with treasures in heaven and/or serving only one master I'm not so sure.

With the sermon on the mount, it does seem to jump around a bit though.

The group of verses that always confuses me is the new cloth on old garments and old wine in new wineskins. (Luke 5:36-39) I'm still stumped, no matter how many times I try to figure it out.

fendeilagh said...

I go back and forth between the idea of the light shinning out of one's eyes and the light going into one's eyes. The first is like the idea of eyes being a window to the soul and being able to see a person's intentions or personality in their eyes. The second is like what Sarah already said, that the things that go into us through our eyes end up coloring our soul.

The former is intriguing to me, but the later is more readily applicable to one's own life.