Friday, February 13, 2009

villanelle

Apparently there was a time in my life that I knew what a villanelle was. And I wrote one. That was back in 10th grade. It was around the same time that I wrote this craziness.

You're wondering why I've started posting things I wrote in 10th grade. My former history teacher (and probably the best teacher I've ever had (excepting my mom, of course, for kindergarten)) sent a request to alumni for copies of a particular paper we had to write in 10th grade, to use them as samples for his class.

So I've been digging through the 10th grade folder for randomness sake, and to see just how much I've changed in what I thought was good writing.

Anyway, my love for story was growing even then. Here's a villanelle:

Reading

When I am lonely, what do I need?
What is it that always captivates me?
Only a book – I desire to read.

In a world of deception, in word and in deed,
In a world that thinks nothing of lying to me,
When I am lonely, what do I need?

When what I say, no one around me will heed,
When no one listens, to what do I flee?
Only a book – I desire to read.

When I am reading, I feel I’ve been freed.
In a story: there is no place I’d rather be.
When I am lonely, what do I need?

What tears me away from this world full of greed?
What pulls me in, just to set my mind free?
Only a book – I desire to read.

In a book I can live or die; I can follow or lead.
I can fly or go sailing over the sea.
When I am lonely, what do I need?
Only a book – I desire to read.

No comments: