Sunday, November 23, 2008

roses

Yesterday, I sat outside for almost four hours in 20 degree snowy weather.

And I loved every minute of it.

Actually, over 108,000 people paid real $ to sit outside in the snow yesterday for almost four hours, at the same time, in the same place, and 95% of them loved it.

The other 5% (by my own somewhat arbitrary rough estimation) were rooting for Michigan State.

Penn State clinched the Big Ten Championship and will be going to the rose bowl.

We're actually crazy.  Sports has made our nation crazy.  We pay incredible amounts of money, develop loyalties to teams that are stronger and longer lasting than our marriages, and sit outside in the snow.  Last weekend I sat outside in the rain, which is arguably worse, just to watch a bunch of 18 to 23 year old kids beat each other up in attempts to get a funny-shaped ball from one side of the field to the other.  Objectively, I'm insane.

But what can I say?  I love Penn State football.  I know the player's names (which are not on their jerseys!).  I remarked yesterday how much I'm going to miss this year's senior class, as if they're my buddies or something.  

Did I mention that we're going to the Rose Bowl?  (Yes, "we")




























And yes, that is Navorro Bowman with a rose sticking out of his helmet, standing in front of a banner welcoming snow.

HT:  BSD

No comments: